Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Homemade Cleaners

So, a few years back I was very dissatisfied with cleaners I was buying from the store.  I am talking about expensive brands, cheap brands, store brands, you name it.  I started wondering about making your own cleaners.  I mean come on, way back when you couldn't buy all these cleaners at the store.  So, I started doing some research online.  The first thing I wanted to look into was an All-Purpose Cleaner.  Something that I could use to clean my bathroom, my counters, etc.  I found one that I really liked and started using it.  However, the more I kept looking into homemade cleaners, the more I started trying out other cleaners.  I made a homemade bathroom cleaner that I adore.  I could not believe that way it made my tub shine!  So, I started using those cleaners regularly and stopped buying store bought.  My hubby (being the smart one he is) discovered a homemade window cleaner that is incredible!  I don't care what they saw, Windex, and all the other brands will leave streaks....always.  This homemade cleaner does not and our windows have never been more 'clear'!  I use it on mirrors, our tv, computers, phones (touch phones), CD's and DVD's, too!  I was also very frustrated with my wood floor cleaner.  I have wood laminate, so they're not REAL wood, but I use wood floor cleaner.  Well, I noticed how my floor never "shined" like I wanted it to, or how it rarely looked like I mopped it (which I did!), I became very frustrated.  So, I looked up online homemade wood floor cleaner and found that if you just use warm water and ammonia it works like magic!  My floor shines and it stays that way!  Even after a week and people have trampled on it, it still shines!  I have been so impressed with homemade cleaners of all types and highly recommend them. Plus it is MUCH cheaper to make your own!  I have never tried to make my own laundry or dish detergent, but I know you can.  Maybe this will be the next thing I try...until then, here is a list of my favorite "recipes" for homemade cleaners.  Enjoy and get cleaning!



All-Purpose Cleaner
½ Cup Vinegar
¼ Cup Baking Soda (or 2 t borax)
½ gallon (2 liters) water
Store overnight, shake up the next day and you’re ready to go! Use on water deposit stains, bathroom chrome fixtures, windows, bathroom mirrors, etc!
Homemade Window Cleaner
½ Cup Ammonia
½ Cup vinegar

1 TBSP dish soap
Combine in a spray bottle and fill the rest of the way up with water.
Comet Type Scrubber
Baking Soda
salt (optional)
Sprinkle baking soda onto sinks, counters, and anywhere else. Dampen slightly and scrub with a soft cloth.
Carpet Deodorizer
Baking Soda
Sprinkle baking soda onto carpets. Let sit for 15-60 minutes and then vacuum. I was amazed at how it also softened my carpets!

Bathroom Cleaner
½ Cup dish soap
Fill rest of the bottle up with vinegar
Laminate Floor Cleaner
½ cup Ammonia
1 gallon hot water
Mop with as you would any other floor cleaner.

Counter Cleaner
Bucket full of water (or fill your sink about ½ way full)
Put in 2 caps full of vinegar. Scrub your counters and be amazed at how they shine!
Drain Cleaner
½ cup baking soda
1 cup white vinegar
1 gallon boiling water
Pour baking soda down drain/disposal, followed by vinegar. Allow the mixture to foam for several minutes before flushing the drain with boiling water. 






No comments:

Post a Comment