Sunday, June 10, 2012

Timepiece



 Kaleb Ballard was never supposed to be able to see ripples--cracks in time. Are his powers expanding, or is something very wrong? Before he can find out, Jonathan Landers, the man who tried to murder his father, reappears. Why is he back, and what, or whom, does he want? In the wake of Landers's return, the Hourglass organization is given an ultimatum by a mysterious man. Either they find Landers and the research he has stolen on people who might carry the time gene, or time will be altered--with devastating results for the people Kaleb loves most. Now Kaleb, Emerson, Michael, and the other Hourglass recruits have no choice but to use their extraordinary powers to find Landers. But where do they even start? And when? Even if they succeed, just finding him may not be enough ...Amazon.com


Last year I could not wait to read 'Hourglass' by Myra McEntire, and she did not disappoint.  I was anxiously awaiting the sequel, 'Timepiece', and when it came up on netgally to read/review, I swooped in (after waiting a few hours because the fans requesting the book were crashing the site!), to request this book.  I was so delighted when I finally received the book via my Kindle and could get to reading.  I could NOT put the book down.


First of all, the book is from Kaleb's POV.  Yes, Kaleb's POV...did I mention Kaleb? :)   Myra does a fantastic job of telling Kaleb's story and bringing his character to life.  I'm sure it's not easy to write from a male POV, especially a teenage one, but she pulls it off flawlessly.  Not only is Kaleb a complex character, but he is likable.  Really likable.  I was a bit leery when I first heard that this book would be from Kaleb's POV, because I've been burned before with male POV, but oh my goodness, it was so good.  I was hooked from the first line; "Maybe getting drunk and dressing up like a pirate for the masquerade was a bad idea." *snort*  Oh Kaleb.  After that first line, it only gets better.  


I can honestly say that I loved  'Timepiece' more than I loved 'Hourglass'.  Yes, I loved the sequel more than the first book, and that's saying something since I absolutely loved 'Hourglass'.  This book kept me on the edge of my seat in suspense, made me laugh out loud, made me want more and more, and overall told a ridiculously GOOD story.  Myra McEntire is a genius.  And she somehow makes the whole time travel aspect believable and easy to understand.  How does she do that?  Duh, like I said, she's a genius.  


If you loved 'Hourglass' then you must read 'Timepiece'.  You will not disappointed.  Especially if you enjoyed the Kaleb scenes, *cough* apron scene *cough*.  And don't worry, there is still plenty of Em & Michael, too, so you won't miss them too much.  Kaleb more than makes up for their absence, trust me.  5/5 Stars to Timepiece by Myra McEntire.

No comments:

Post a Comment